To provide course participants with:
- a basic understanding of the hazards associated with the marine environment and their own vessel, and of how to prevent shipboard incidents including fire;
- the knowledge necessary to raise and react to alarms and deal with emergencies;
- an ability to provide assistance in fire and abandonment situations;
- the knowledge and skills which will enable them to assist in their own survival and rescue.
SDV-BS gives you a basic understanding of the marine hazards and emergencies, including:
- Hazards & risk management, prevention and vessel stability
- Fire Emergency Response
- Survival & Lifesaving equipment use
- Distress signaling including flares, DSC Radio & EPIRB Beacons
- Cold water emergency response
- Coastal search & rescue procedures
- The ability to provide assistance in fire and abandonment situations
SDV-BS is for Crew Members, 15 years of age an over of non-pleasure vessels of up to 150 gross tons not operating more than 25 miles from shore, including, but not limited to: Commercial Fishing, Crew Boats, Work Boats and Tugs.